Quote

"Stay Far From Timid, Only Make Moves When Your Hearts In It, and Live The Phrase: Sky's The Limit..."
© Christopher "Notorious BIG" Wallace R.I.P

Sunday, June 13, 2010

I Was Never a Fan...


No lie but, I can honestly say that I was never a Dipset fan.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels or felt this way.  Many ask "WHY?" but, if you're a Hov fan like me you would know the reason for such a resentment.  But, I can't front after playing a couple of their tracks and finding myself rapping along to Cam's signature verses that resentment is soon to be a thing of the past...
"Go Uptown to Harlem, tell'em that I sent ya..."

...A young and ambitious Juelz says on the infamous yet trademarked single in the Diplomats' catalog.

Harlem's Cam'ron, Juelz Santana, Jim Jones, & Freeky Zekey come together to form the Diplomats (also known as Dipset).  They are the infamous crew that took over NYC for a couple of years, initially throughout 2003.  The group is famous for their massive street appeal and musical catalog.

Let's go back in hip-hop time to 2002,  Hov was getting ready to drop the sequel to his already #classic Blueprint, and while alongside business partners Dame Dash and Kareem Biggs, looking to expand the Roc-A-Fella Records empire. In comes Harlemite Cam'ron, who gained previous fame for his '99 smash single "Horses & Carriage" featuring his childhood friend Ma$e (remember him?).



Come Home with Me would be Cam's proper debut to the public and wide audience, as well as a Roc-A-Fella recruit (previously released S.D.E on Epic Records in '99).  Singles such as "Hey Ma" and "Oh Boy" were instant favorites and had everyone blasting it out the speakers of their radios and vehicles.  This led to the Dipset mania that ensued with the '03 release of the double-disc Diplomatic Immunity.
"Dipset Anthem" and "I Really Mean It" became trademarked singles for the group and assisted in solidifying the their legacy.

"Two More for Cam for taking over the ROC..."


However, what should be noted is that while being signed to the Roc, Cam and Jay never got along and was rumored to obtain a high executive position on the label once Jay retired.  Also, it was said that Jay wanted to do a remix to the "Oh Boy" single but was denied to do so by Cam.  


Now, I'm not here to announce or discuss rumors but after hearing about these misunderstandings between the two, I just decided that I'd stop playing or listening to these "clowns".  Things got worse when Jim Jones and Cam feuded with childhood friend Ma$e (again, remember him?) over his decision to rap again while contesting his friendship.  Not to mention Cam's infamous "Touch It Or Not" music video with Jay Jay from Good Times playing Jay-Z (smh) and Jim Jones' continued verbal diarrhea towards Hov which resulted with the infamous line "Men Lie, Women Lie, but Numbers Don't..."



As you can see, the crew had so much negativity for the big homey Hov.  It seemed like he was their only target.  I don't think I have to even continue to elaborate on the reason for my resentment towards the Dips.  But... I can't front, I've been becoming interested in their music as of late.

After their break up in '08, a resolution with Ma$e, and Cam's return last year, I've been listening to the groups' music.  To be more specific, I've been listening to more Cam than Jimmy or Juelz mainly because of the abundance of music that he's released.  Although, it might also be due to appearance of Vado, Cam has really opened my eyes as to how dope of an artist he is and that is evident by the response he received by fans when he made a surprise performance at this year's Hot 97 Summer Jam.


With a Dipset reunion on the way and the amount of anticipation by fans, I just might be a newfound supporter of their music. 

Note: Notice I didn't say "Fan"


Look out for their forthcoming reunion...




SideBar: I am however, officially a fan of Cam'ron and of course a diehard listener/fan of Vado.

No comments:

Post a Comment